Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Beginning

This is a blog about my part-time gig at a national women’s clothing chain store. Before I got this job, I had never worked retail before (unless you consider working at my parents’ drugstore while I was in high school to be “retail.” I mean, I did sell my fair share of condoms, tampons and all things Hallmark).

This job was necessary for me to obtain several months ago due to my mom’s decline in health, which surrendered her unable to work and forced my younger brother and me to financially support her, and my former spouse’s “a-ha” moment when he decided it was okay to no longer pay his share of a quarter-of-a-million dollar mortgage on the townhouse we built together.

I’m not bitter that I have to work two jobs and that my weekends aren’t my own anymore. I’m also not bitter that I have to hang up other people’s (read: GROWN women’s) clothes from the floor and get paid a menial salary for such. No, it’s just the opposite. I appreciate this gig for all it has taught me about humanity. About the kindness of people. About the smile I can bring to a woman’s face who has just tried on – and bought – the perfectly-fitted pant or suit jacket. But most of all, I am grateful it has given me such great material to start this blog.

So, dear readers, please live vicariously through me as you read about my adventures in retail. I will not disclose the name of the store at which I work, nor its location, and I will keep all names and identifying characteristics confidential. Ready for a few laughs? Here we go… !!

No comments: