Sunday, February 1, 2009

Half-Open or Half-Closed?

We have two doors at the entrance of our store. They open out pretty wide to welcome you into Retail World.

The other night at 8:55 p.m. (five minutes before official closing time), I closed one of the two doors. My co-worker made a comment that she felt like doing such made a statement to people that screamed, “We’re about to close up shop for the night, so don’t bother coming in!!”

Faithful readers, do you believe this to be true? Please be honest, as I had not thought about this angle previously.

If you came across a store with one door open and one door closed at five minutes before closing time, would you feel annoyed? Angry? Upset? Bothered? Or would it possibly serve to inform you that the store is closing soon?

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts and comments.

2 comments:

Courtney and the Boys said...

I think it would mean that you're closing soon. Since the other door is still open, I would realize you are still open, but I would have to hustle my buns if I'm interested in coming in since there are only 5 minutes left until closing time.

:)

Court

Anonymous said...

yup - it means you're about to close! if i knew what i wanted, and could do it quickly, i would still shop, but the semi-closed look means 'no browsing allowed'!
S.